Monday, March 11, 2013

Night's Watch



"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."
- Oath of the Night's Watch

Doubtless, the excitement is growing in the ranks of the fans of A Game of Thrones, as it prepares to enter it's 3rd Season of the HBO TV adaption. I am no exception! Although I am first and foremost loyal to the Tolkien franchise, there is a strange allure to George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. As the new season draws near, I decided pay homage by creating an outfit inspired by the Night's Watch. In the world of Westeros, the Night's Watch is a group of men dedicated to being the first line of defense against invaders  that approach from the far North. They are sworn to never abandon their post at the Wall (a colossal fortification which stretches for 300 miles along the northern border of the Seven Kingdoms). To leave the post - or to break the Oath in any way - means death.




This outfit consisted of all quest items, with the exception of the furry Westfold Shoulder Pads. This is an item I use in many of my winter-themed outfits because of it's practicality - who doesn't want fur in below-zero weather? It took me a while to find a suitable chest piece that would dye completely black and didn't look too fancy, so I settled with the Robe of Viisaus. The ranger cosmetics were the icing on the cake as they added a sense of ruggedness. The Night's Watch is a lot like Tolkien's band of DĂșnedain rangers (although the Watch is considerably less honorable and not so noble of lineage).




I had a real adventure getting this lvl 7 character to the Misty Mountains for this photo shoot. A 68% speed, 250 health steed comes in real handy in the Trollshaws. I had a mob of monsters and beasts after me all the way to Rivendell (I was only dismounted ONCE!). If I can do this once, I can definitely do it again with all my alts, which means I'll be able to do more photos in areas like Evendim and Forochel (yay!).


I hope you like this outfit!

  • Head: Worn Ranger's Hood, dyed Black (Isengard Quest Reward)
  • Back:  Worn Cloak of the Ranger, dyed Black (Isengard Quest Reward)
  • Shoulders: Fated Westfold Assault Shoulder Pads, dyed Black (Tier 7 Crafted)
  • Chest: Robe of Viisaus, dyed Black (Epic Book, Vol. 1 Quest Reward)
  • Hands: Fine Grey Company Gauntlets, dyed Black (Isengard Quest Reward)
  • Feet: Clanweave Shoes, dyed Black (Isengard Quest Reward)


No comments:

Post a Comment